Our participants, staff and Board are grateful that you are a part of the C.E.R.T.S., Inc. family. In celebration of the holiday, our office in Newark and Smyrna will be closed on Thursday,11/26 and Friday 11/27.
C.E.R.T.S., Inc. would like to thank the BHA Foundation Fund and the Mid-Del Charitable Foundation, Inc. for the generous grant awards that we received this week. The ongoing support of organizations such as these allow us to continue to provide quality services to those who deserve nothing less. We are truly grateful to both Foundations.
C.E.R.T.S., Inc. had two special guests on October 27, 2015 – Stephen Groff, Director of Division of Medicaid & Medical Assistance and Lisa Zimmerman, Deputy Director. It was a great opportunity to introduce them to several participants, see what they do during the course of a day and visit with a few parents. As a group, we discussed some concerns as we at C.E.R.T.S., Inc. look to the future in preparation for the Transition Plan of the Home & Community Based Waiver (HCBS). This change is happening on a Federal level, but the HCBS Waiver funds the majority of our participants at C.E.R.T.S., Inc., so it is hitting close to home. The new regulations describe (for the first time) what settings Medicaid considers to be “community based”, and is requiring providers to meet that standard in order to be reimbursed for providing services to people with disabilities under the waiver.
Mr. Groff and Ms. Zimmerman seemed to enjoy meeting our participants and families and learning about the barriers our men and women face as we prepare to spend more time in the community. Some of you might wonder what those barriers are. Here are a few:
- A significant percentage of our clients eat via a feeding tube. Delaware law prohibits anyone except a nurse or family member from performing this service. A staff member isn’t able to do this in the community.
- More than half of our folks use very large wheelchairs that don’t fit into a personal vehicle. This means the staff can’t use their personal vehicles to drive the individuals around. We have two company vehicles. If more people need to go out more often, our participants and staff may need to use Paratransit to access the community, further stretching the resources of that agency.
- Several of the men and women in our program need to be placed on a large table for personal care, using a two person lift, or a mechanical lift. These tables are not available in the community, nor are we funded to go out with two staff members to one participant.
C.E.R.T.S., Inc. has been providing a person centered active day program to individuals with severe, multiple disabilities since opening our doors in 2007. We await more information about the direction of this transition to see how to comply with this new mandate. All providers must be in compliance by March 17, 2019. We will keep you posted as we learn more.
The Board, staff and individuals served at C.E.R.T.S., Inc. want to express our appreciation to everyone who participated in making “2015 Piggin Out” on October 17th such a huge success. We could not have accomplished this without each and everyone of you. A good time was had by all!
Bring your appetite and your dancin’ shoes to our annual Piggin’ Out for C.E.R.T.S. event.
On Saturday October 17th, 2015 from 7 p.m. until midnight, attendees will be treated to a feast in support of the participants at C.E.R.T.S., Inc. Adult Action Center.
Music will be provided by The Big Bang Band.
Ticket price includes roasted & pulled pork and chicken, complimentary side dishes, beer, wine and soft drinks plus coffee and dessert.
The event is being held at the IBEW Union Hall, 814 W. Basin Road, New Castle, DE 19702.
Tickets are $35 and can be purchased via Paypal below. Any questions contact Terry Cipolla at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Various items will be raffled during the event along with an extensive silent auction. YOU WON’T WANT TO MISS THIS!
Some of the items available at the silent auction are:
- Wine Class and Tasting for 20 from Total Wine — the winner can pick the region they would like to learn about: France, Italy or California.
- A Panera Bread Certificate for a loaf of bread of your choice every month for a year.
- A free golf lesson and $25 gift certificate from Golf Galaxy.
- Tickets to Delaware Children’s Theatre
- Tickets to DuPont Theatre
- Tour and tasting for 4 at Painted Stave in Smyrna
- A signed hockey puck from the Philadelphia Flyers
- A variety of restaurant gift certificates.
Buy tickets for the event & the raffle here!
We hope to see you there!