This has been an amazing year for the C.E.R.T.S., Inc. Adult Action Center. A parent recently wrote, “What an awesome group of ladies! Thank you for making it easy to drop my son off in the morning, knowing he will receive the best of care when we leave. We know your job is not an easy one. We appreciate that you are so kind, friendly, caring, and giving. We can tell that he enjoys being at CERTS, because he seems happy when we pick him up at 3pm. And that makes us happy, too. So we want to thank you for providing a safe and fun environment for him.”
In 2013 we had many achievements. Some of them are:
- Had a 20% increase in participants.
- Opened a second site in Smyrna, Kent County.
- Grew to a total of 30 participants; 26 in Newark and 4 in Smyrna.
- Had a bus donated to us by Delaware Transit Corporation.
- Held a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new bus.
- Enjoyed a concert held by Justin Hines for especially for C.E.R.T.S.
- Exhibited an art display of the participants’ great paintings and pottery.
- C.E.R.T.S. received the 2013 Best of Newark Award!
WHY IS C.E.R.T.S. DIFFERENT FROM OTHER DAY PROGRAMS?
- C.E.R.T.S. is very different from other programs as it works with the 2% of the population who are most severely impacted by their disabilities.
- C.E.R.T.S. has a nurse on duty all day, every day, which is very unique for day programs.
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy is offered to participants at no additional fee. Therapies are included as a benefit of attending C.E.R.T.S.!
- The staff to participant ratio is 1:3 which is very low in the industry. This allows us to give more individualized attention to our participants as well as to develop very specific ways for each to grow while at C.E.R.T.S. (The state standard is 8:1, industry standard 5:1)
- C.E.R.T.S. Adult Action Center is an activity based program with participants making choices of which fun activities they wish to do each day.
Although the C.E.R.T.S program is largely funded by state reimbursements, the Adult Action Center goes far above state requirements to provide a stimulating and engaging environment for adults with multiple, severe disabilities. Each day our participants can interact with their friends, enjoy recreational activities and community outings, and build physical strength in their adapted walkers (called Pacers®) guided by the MOVE® program. This provides benefits not only to our participants, but to their families and caregivers as well.
C.E.R.T.S. currently receives approximately 92% of its annual income from the State of Delaware in contract fees. C.E.R.T.S.’ goal, however, is to offer far more than traditional day programs, and so our success in meeting that goal depends on supporters such as you to help fill this 8% gap and to cover special capital and program costs, thereby enabling us to continue providing our uniquely enhanced programming. Your support ensures that participants at the C.E.R.T.S. Adult Action Center continue to receive:
- Art therapy
- Pottery classes
- Adaptive equipment for art projects, computer programs, cooking, sports and music
- Community outings to places such as the park, pet store, shopping, even the Herr’s Factory
- Special programs such as pet therapy
Another parent wrote a letter to the staff but it also applies to all you do to help C.E.R.T.S. financially. They said, “Thank you for all that you do on a daily basis to enhance the lives of all the clients at C.E.R.T.S It takes a special person to be able to realize all the things you do, even the little tasks, that enrich the lives of our loved ones. Please know how much we appreciate all that you do for our daughter.”
Can we count on your support? Your gift to C.E.R.T.S., Inc. will enable us to continue our mission to enrich the lives of adults with multiple, severe disabilities and, in turn, their families through an active personalized day program. Please give generously and know that your gift is very much appreciated!
Here is the link to make your contribution on-line
Sarah Celestin, Ed.D.